Office of Veteran & Military Services

Undergraduate Studies


Veterans, service members, and dependents interested in admission should contact Jason F. Gilliland, Director of Veteran and Military Services, at 845-257-3120 or for further information.

Below is a step-by-step checklist for applying to SUNY New Paltz for undergraduate students. If you have any questions, please contact our office.

Undergraduate Student Admissions

  • Step 2 –  Official documentation needed:
    • Freshman Documents Requirements:
      • Official High School Transcript(s)
      • Official SAT and/or ACT score report
      • Minimum one letter of recommendation from high school counselor or teacher.
        • Note: Service members and veterans can submit a letter of recommendation from a supervisor or commander in lieu of a high school counselor or teacher.
      • Personal Essay
    • Transfer Student Document Requirements
      • Official high school transcript(s)
      • Official transcripts from all colleges attended (even if it was for one class)
      • If you are applying for art/art education, music, or theatre arts, you must submit a portfolio or participate in an on-campus audition/interview as part of the admission decision process
      • GED score sheet (if applicable)
    • All service members and veterans should request their official military transcripts from the Joint Service Transcript (JST) system or the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF). To do so, click on your appropriate service branch below:

Note: Please have all transcripts sent directly to our Office of Undergraduate Admission:

  • SUNY New Paltz
    Office of Undergraduate Admission
    100 Hawk Drive
    New Paltz, NY 12561
  • Step 3 – GI BILL® and other military related education benefits:

As a Veteran or Service Member (Active Duty, Reserve, or National Guard), you may be eligible for educational benefits through numerous GI BILL® programs. Once you’ve decided to use your GI BILL® it is important to choose the proper one. It is HIGHLY recommended that you contact our office prior to applying for your GI BILL®. We will work with you to find which benefit fits you best. Apply for your GI BILL® online.

As a service member (active duty, reserve, or National Guard), you may be eligible for tuition assistance through your branch of service. To apply for this program, you must contact your unit’s POC for education.

Once again, it is HIGHLY encouraged that you contact our office before applying for any of these programs. Otherwise, you may lose out on certain benefits.

  • Step 4 – Apply for Financial Aid

Completing the FASFA is the first step toward getting federal aid for college. Federal Aid provides billions of dollars in grants, loans, and work-study funds to students, but to receive this money you must complete the FASFA. Not to mention, many of your other programs require this step completed as part of the process, such as Military Tuition Assistance, New York Veterans Tuition Award (VTA), New York State TAP, and many more. To apply for Federal Financial Aid, visit our Financial Aid website.

  • Step 5 – Apply for New York Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

TAP is a New York State grant entitlement program for residents of the State. Applicants must be enrolled full time and matriculated in an approved New York State post-secondary program. A FASFA must be filed first in order to apply for TAP. HESC offers all students the opportunity to apply for TAP on the Web and avoid the paper application process. Applicants who miss the Web link from the online FAFSA can apply here. Please note that the TAP application is also used to apply for other New York State grant programs and scholarships.

Once you have been accepted

  • Step 6 – Pay your Pre-Enrollment Deposit
    • The Pre-Enrollment Deposit is waived for service members, veterans, and dependents. In order to have this waived, you will need to send an email to the Office of Veteran and Military Services at requesting a waiver. Make sure you put "Pre-Enrollment Deposit Waiver" in the subject line of your email.
  • Step 7 – Submit your Pre-Enrollment Health/Immunization Report via fax or by mail.
    • FAX: 845-257-3415
    • Mailing Address:

      SUNY New Paltz
      Student Health Service
      1 Hawk Drive
      New Paltz, NY 12561

  • Step 8 – Register for Orientation online (all students will register for classes during Orientation). For additional assistance please contact the Student Orientation office at 845-257-3088.
  • Step 9 – Visit the Department of Veteran and Military Service
    • Who should stop by?
      • Military
      • Veterans
      • Dependents
      • Parents
    • Once you have registered for classes, your last and final step, is to stop by our office. We will help you complete any outstanding items, such as; GI BILL® Benefits, Tuition Deferral, Health Insurance Waiver, and much more.




GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at